Friday, November 2, 2012

Issue 1: Pebaluna/Vinnie&Matt @Irenic in North Park

Pebaluna, Vinnie Caruana, and Matt Embree @Irenic in North Park


It was the beginning of the last week of Aug. and as usual I was strapped for cash worrying about how to make the good chunk of my rent that week. I told myself that I wouldn't go out all week but within hours I was on my skateboard riding to the North Park area of San Diego to watch Pebaluna, Vinnie Caruana, and Matt Embree play at a church. I didn't know it was a church until I skated up and saw some kids smoking cigarettes on the steps of the place and wondered why this looked odd. I walked in, paid the cover and took a seat against a pillar on the right side of the open room. No chairs or pews just standing space. Pebaluna opened the show with a burst of energy. Luaren Colemans voice is smooth and rich and as of the first time you hear it, it will stay with you as something truly special. Their mix of folky melodic rock has an upbeat energy that flows from their lips and finger tips into the hearts and souls of the audience. Vinnie Caruana (the movie life, i am the avalanche) followed playing acoustic jams that that were complemented by the strong rasp and projection of his voice. The strong tones and complexity of the vocals make Vinnie's solo show dynamic and memorable. Matt Embree closed the show playing acoustic jams ranging from Toots and the Maytal to Rx Bandits songs sung in spanish. I've seen Matt play covers including jams by Sam Cooke, Richie Havens, and the Beatles, and as big of shoes that those are to fill, Embree makes each classic his own. His voice is somehow rugged and smooth creating a connection to your heart as well as the ears. Even if you're not familiar or not a fan of Rx Bnadits (Embree's most well known project) take a chance and go see him play next time he's in your town. You wont be sorry.


PS CHECK OUT PEACE'D OUT, THE NEW PROJECVT FROM VINNIE CARUANA. 

No comments:

Post a Comment