Friday, November 2, 2012

Issue 2: Chris Coulon and me got some Pizza





I recently had the pleasure of meeting TALLBOY, artist Chris Coulon, through a mutual friend
who told me “Dude, you gotta meet my friend Chris, he just moved here and needs a skate
buddy”. We’ve hung out several times now and watched movies, drank beers, went swimming, but
to this day when one of us is skating, the other is busy. What could this dude be doing that's
keeping him so busy I wondered, until I saw his art. There's no doubt that this dude spends
lots of time perfecting his illustrations. Hailing from Lynn, Massachusetts Chris is new
to the San Diego area. After finishing school Salem State he toyed around with the idea of
leaving the east coast. In August Chris and his girlfriend packed up the van with all their belongings and set out across the country. They spent time with friends across the states before landing in
San Diego after a small stint in the bay area. Since travel west Chris has been busy working
on commission pieces for the likes of Tasty Skateboards, and Sizzle Pie Pizza of Portland, as well as doing his own designs. I had a chance to talk to him about skateboarding and his journey to this point
in life. He told me about how he got into printing shirts at a local shop after taking a class
at Salem State, and how printing 8 color shirts for clients instead of yourself can be a burn out. The dude defiantly lives up to the name tallboy at least to me. I didn't ask him how tall he was but he's defiantly rockin the 6 foot plus badge. He’s almost one of the nicest dudes you can ever meet. I showed up drunk at his house one night for movie night and a few weeks ago where a bunch of us watched “Eye of the Tiger” with Gary Busey. Despite my inebriation they welcomed me, proceeded to feed me beers, whisky, and pizza and then let me crash on the couch. If that's not a stand up dude, i don't know what is. Anyway I’ve written nothing that we discussed for this article, and I like that, so I'm going to
leave it at that. Hope you read this whole thing and are like “what, that sucked”
GO CHECK OUT  CHRIS “TALLBOY” COULON!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment